[mythtv-users] choosing among these GeForce4s (help me)

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 09:48:34 EST 2004

>From: Franco <net.surfer at tiscali.it>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] choosing among these GeForce4s (help me)
>Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:24:24 +0100 (CET)
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to get an end to my decisional process for
>buying the hardware for my future mythbox. I'm buying the
>stuff from these guys:
>	http://www.axiontech.com/
>and I've already decided nearly all the pieces.
>Still missing the video card.
>If you type "GeForce4 MX440" on the search field on the left,
>you get 30 items (argh!) and even if you restrict the search
>like: "GeForce4 MX440 8x 64MB" you still get 16 items...
>could you help me choose among these 16 ?
>
>I would discard the last four ("special order" and "TV tuner"),
>what about the others?
>
>I'd like one which is know for being able to run fan-less
>without problems. I see that some are shipped without a fan,
>but this doesn't mean they don't need one...
>
>BTW, I see many of these card include an MPEG hardware decoder.
>Is that hardware wasted, under Linux, or is it possible to use it?
>Nvidia claims to have "linux drivers"...
>
>Thank you,
>Franco
>--
>e-mail: net.surfer at tiscali.it

I personally like PNY.  It is what I have, though I have an older
GFMX440se 4x card.  Try:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=161766&Sku=P56-2732&CatId=693

which has, I believe, the same PNY card as on Axion for a bit less.
I know that some people have complained about TigerDirect in the
past but I have had good luck with them.

HTH!

-- Harry O.