[mythtv-users] Quality difference between PVR-350 and 250

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:12:03 EST 2004

> > if I should expect the same quality with the 250 now.  Thanks again.
> If anything, there is a slight chance you might see increased quality due to
> hardware improvements (new tuners, etc.)  Most notably, it seems that people
> using the Rev 1 (old) PVR-250s have had quality problems that users of new
> boards don't seem to notice.
>
> I wish the PVR-350 I have used the Philips 1236MK3 tuner and not one of the
> earlier ones - its tuner is FAR worse than the 1236D (And I believe the
> 1236MK3's analog design is identical to the 1236D's)

	Just FYI, I was one of the people posting about less-than-tv-quality
capture on the PVR-250rev1's.  I'm pretty sure it's not the tuner quality, but
rather the capture part.  I've done a resolution test pattern on the s-vid in
and it doesn't make any difference if it's tuner or direct in.  I see about 450
lines of horizontal resolution with the card (captured at 720x480).  With
directly on the TV, I can make out 550+ lines.  It's noticably fuzzier... but
most likely not because of the tuner.

	Still unsure whether it's because it's a rev1 pvr-250 or not... it's
all I've got.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*