[mythtv-users] alsa9:spdif

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 6 01:16:21 EST 2004

On Mar 5, 2004, at 11:45, GERALD SCHEPENS wrote:

> I have an ac97 codec with an optical out that I'm using off an Asus
> P4PE motherboard.  I tried watching a DVD from the DVD menu in Myth
> and found that I only got left and right channels.  The centre
> channel, etc. didn't come through.  But, I was maybe using a different
> command line.

For a DVD, Myth isn't doing anything with the audio. Your DVD player
app (mplayer, xine, ogle, whatever) is actually where you need to set
things up. I have my system passing raw ac3 from mplayer just fine,
with these settings in ~/.mplayer/config:

# run full-screen
  fs=yes
  # zoom image to fill the screen
  zoom=yes
  # disable mplayer's usual verbosity
  really-quiet=yes
  # use XVideo for video output
  vo=xv
  # don't enable joystick
  nojoystick=yes
  # use alsa for audio out, through spdif
  ao=alsa9:spdif
  # if ac3 audio, send raw stream to my amp, else fall back
  ac=hwac3,
  # my display is 16:9
  monitoraspect=16:9

Or all from the command line:

/usr/bin/mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -monitoraspect 16:9 -vo xv -ao
alsa9:spdif -ac hwac3, <video file>

Similarly, you need to configure ALSA ac3 output for xine and/or ogle.

> Where's the doc on this?  I'd like to fix it.

Dunno. I haven't bothered with native ALSA for MythTV itself, since I'm
not watching any HD content with it yet, and there's no point for
standard-def TV. For that, use ALSA's OSS emulation layer. It Just
Works (tm).

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...