[mythtv-users] Recording shows to DVD?

stan stanb at panix.com
Sat Mar 6 15:59:42 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:12:19PM -0500, Andrew Dodd wrote:
> Quoting "Boyd II, Willy" <wboyd at fulbright.com>:
>

> > pvr-250 right?  I don't think you want the dvb stuff then.  I was referring
> > to this script:
> >
> > ---------------
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > mkfifo aud0
> > mkfifo vid0
> > mkfifo dvdmpg
> >
> > mpeg2desc -a0 < $1 > aud0 &
> > mpeg2desc -v0 < $1 > vid0 &
> > mplex -f 8 -V -o dvdmpg aud0 vid0 &
> > dvdauthor -o $2 -f dvdmpg
> > dvdauthor -o $2 -T
> >
> > rm aud0
> > rm vid0
> > rm dvdmpg
> > ----------------
> >
> > Pass it the .nuv file and a name for the new dvd project.  You should end
> > up
> > with a directory which you can mkisofs into a ISO then burn it.  (Or are
> > people somehow bypassing the mkisofs step to burn?  lemme know if so...)
> That's my script.  :)
>
> The requirements are mjpegtools (provides mplex) and dvdauthor (provides
> mpeg2desc and dvdauthor).
>
> mkisofs is needed, but it's possible to pipe the output of mkisofs directly to
> cdrecord without any file being written to disc.
>
> An example:
> ----------
> #!/bin/sh
> TSIZE=`mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -q -print-size .`
> mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -V "$1" . | nice -10 cdrecord speed=1 dev=1,1,0 \
> driveropts=burnfree -dao -v tsize="$TSIZE"s -

I went out today, and paid way too much for a few DVD+RW's for testing. Unfortunately I ran
intot a problem.

Script started on Sat Mar  6 15:53:22 2004
root at mythtv2:/cache/tmp# /home/stan/bar stan
Cdrecord 2.01a16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
atapi: 1
cdrecord.mmap: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'ATAPI   '
Identifikation : 'DVD DUAL 4XMax  '
Revision       : '2.30'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord.mmap: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Current: 0x001A
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A (current)
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0011
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0009
Profile: 0x0008
Profile: 0x0082
Profile: 0x0081
Profile: 0x0080
cdrecord.mmap: Found DVD+ media but DVD+R/DVD+RW support code is missing.
cdrecord.mmap: If you need DVD+R/DVD+RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord.mmap: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found on this target.
cdrecord.mmap: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
cdrecord.mmap: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord.mmap: See /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.DVD.Debian for details on DVD support.
cdrecord.mmap: Warning: controller returns wrong size for CD capabilities page.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-ROM driver (mmc_cd).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 6553600 = 6400 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  2277 MB
Total size:     2615 MB (259:05.82) = 1165937 sectors
Lout start:     2615 MB (259:07/62) = 1165937 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
cdrecord.mmap: Unspecified command not implemented for this drive.
cdrecord.mmap: Data will not fit on any disk.
cdrecord.mmap: Cannot write more than remaining DVD capacity.
root at mythtv2:/cache/tmp#
Script done on Sat Mar  6 15:53:36 2004

So I wnet and read the sugested README:

Notes about DVD-Recording:
==========================

cdrecord does not support DVD recording. If you need it you have the
following options:

* cdrecord-ProDVD: Joerg Schilling is also author of cdrecord-ProDVD. This
  software is free for personal use but not free software according to the
  DFSG and therefore not part of Debian GNU/Linux.

* dvdrecord: A fork of cdrecord 1.11a15 with DVD support. As far as we
  know it it is not actively maintained.

* Apply the dvdrecord-patch to cdrecord and compile it yourself:
    apt-get source cdrtools
    cd cdrtools-<version>
    fakeroot debian/rules dvd=yes cdrecord

    Be aware that we will probably ignore bugreports for cdrecord+dvdpatch
    unless they can be reproduced without the patch.

-------------------

Why is this patch not applied by default?

* We are not the upstream authors of cdrecord and cannot fix most of the bugs
  ourselves, but will forward them to upstream. The author of cdrtools is
  not interested in maintaining a forked version of his software.

* We aren't interested in and cannot play upstream (aka main software author)
  for the dvd-patch.

* There is no active upstream for the dvdrecord-patch either.

* It may break cdrecord. And as far as we know its only tested on Pioneer
  A03 DVD Writer. So there is no guarantee that cdrecord still does its
  work as it should nor that this patch really works for most of the
  DVD Writers.

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at debian.org> 2003-07-02
Eduard Bloch <blade at debian.org> 2003-03-16

I suppose I could try building this with teh patch, but the wording of this
README does not do a lot to make me expect it work on my hardware.

Is there an alternate tool I can use? I'm on a machine built from KnoppMYTH,
which of course is Debian derived.

What are my options here?

And thanks for all the help on this!

neither liberty nor safety."