[mythtv-users] New System Install Problems (Matrox G400, Hauppage PVR-250, SB Live)

Jason R Neuhaus jneuhaus at cox.net
Sat Mar 6 23:36:42 EST 2004

I am attempting to install MythTV on a new machine from a bunch of spare
parts I had laying around, here's what I've got:
P3 450 (yeah, I know :)
512 RAM
Matrox G400 MAX
Hauppage PVR-250
SB Live
Some 3com ethernet card
120 GB HD
lircd 0.7.0pre1
mysql 11.18

I've been following the instructions at (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv), and
I've run into a few problems, and I was hoping someone here could help.
This is a fresh install of Fedora Core 1.  I seem to be having 3 main
problems:

1) when I run the MythTV setup program, I answer yes to clearing out any
preexisting information, I get a screen with little swirly straw looking
things on it, and it just sits there, no text, no prompts, no processing, HD
is idle, etc.  I've let it sit for quite a while and it never seems to end.
It is my understanding that there should be some setup menus here?

I am using matrox's drivers for cloning the main display to the TV.  I am
running the main display at 800x600 85Hz, secondary at 800x600 60Hz.  The TV
out appears to be working fine, both my monitor and the TV I had to borrow
from elsewhere in the house show the same thing.

Any ideas?

In my messages file, I get an error from modprobe at bootup about "can't
locate module fb0".

The only other messages I see are from mythtv itself saying something to the
effect of
(mythtv) resolved address "xml:................gconf......"
There are 3 of them all relating to resolving address, and all 3 mention
gconf.

I also get another error during startup:
modprobe: can't locate module char-major-188
usually repeated 3 or more times.

2) Could never get the remote to work.  I am running lircd 0.7.0pre1.
Previously I could run irw and it jsut wouldn't recognize any button presses
on the remote, now I can't even run irw, I get connection refused, or other
errors.  I believe it may be related to /dev/lirc and /dev/lircd, can
someone tell me what their devices look like?

c--------- root root 61, 0 /dev/lirc
srw-rw-rw- root root       /dev/lircd

Sorry for the manual types data here, I don't have much setup on this
machine yet and have to switch back and forth to type in relvent info.

syslog errors I see when it fails are:
lirc...... could not open /dev/lirc
lirc.......default_init() no such device

at bootup, it seems to recognize the device:
lirc_i2c: chip found at 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
lirc_dev: ............... sample rate: 10

3) When I play video back during testing, I see the video play back on the
main CRT display, but not on the cloned display?
Using mplayer, I can see the video in display 1, but on display 2, all I see
is the window surround with no video in it?  I am using the drivers and
mpgadesk tool from the Matrox website.

    Any information would be greatly appreciated.  After spending all day on
this, I'm running out of ideas.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jason