[mythtv-users] Newbie hardware purchase question

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 9 02:20:46 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, KMF wrote:

>   o output to non-HDTV standard televisions  o input from cable
> (currently analog) or DVD
>   o simultaneous record and playback, pause live TV (is it also
>     possible to pause live TV while recording?)

Recording requires a tuner, and live TV requires a tuner.  So to do both,
you'll need two tuners.  You can get a PVR-350 and PVR-250 (no need for
two PVR-350s).  If your system is 2GHz or better, the second tuner can be
a bt8x8, and you'll save about $100.

>   o system placed in living room so silent and relatively low
>     power consumption (?)

There have been several threads about pretty cases, keeping heat down, and
quiet cooling systems.  I have a Shuttle SK41G with an Athlon XP 2400+ and
am pretty happy from a noise/heat standpoint, but lots of other options
work well, too.

>   o IR control for "everyday" use

Several threads about that, too.  The PVR-350 comes with its own remote.
If you prefer more flexibility, buy (or build) a serial or USB IR receiver
and train it to work with one or more other remotes (one you already have,
a universal, a Tivo remote, whatever).

>   o Uh, good support for Linux/Myth

Well, yeah.  :)

--Patrick