[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Franco net.surfer at tiscalinet.it
Tue Mar 9 07:23:26 EST 2004

> Wouldn't it be possible to rip an exact image of each DVD and mount
> them in a virtual DVD-ROM drive?

This is something I _hoped_ do to.
I meant to do like:
	dd if=/dev/dvd of=mymovie.dvd
	mount -o loop mymovie.dvd /mnt/virtualdvd
	(... hav fun with the dvd)

Actually, it fails on the first step.
After a few MBytes, I get an I/O error :-(

If it worked, it would be very nice to have a button
to press in mythtv like "import DVD" (I said import,
not "rip" or "transcode") so that one can build
his own on-line DVD collection and, later, browse
the imported DVDs from within myth.

This would have some advantages... you don't have to
go to the bookshelf an select your DVD, insert it
in the drive, etc. ... you just choose the movie
with your remote control.

Also, the hard disk is much quieter and faster
than the DVD drive so I'd expect much smoother
playback and no frames dropped....

The same applies for CDROMs... I'd like as well
to _import_ my collection to the hard disk for later
usage, and not "rip" or "transcode" them....

(maybe this is a feature request?)

Franco