[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause

kevin d listman at depfyffer.com
Tue Mar 9 11:30:59 EST 2004

I must have changed something in the capture settings after the upgrade to
0.14. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was getting
prebuffering pauses every 4 seconds. After picking apart everything and
running mythtv locally (which worked fine) I figured I better check my
network. After transferring a copy of tribes demo (works with winex BTW -
need help? email me) and running mii-tool I saw my throughput really
sucked, running halfduplex and only getting 1mbs (I wasn't even getting
that) swapped out my nic on the frontend and added "options 3c905x
fullduplex=1" to my modules.conf, added "options b44 full_duplex=1"
on the backend ran mii-tool (didn't work with the b44 card but the RH tool
does) again and SWEET! 100baseTx-FD thats more like it. I copied over the
tribes demo again and man thats what a network should be like.
No more prebuffering pauses for me.
you can find mii-tool on google and I believe the RH tool is called
ethtool that does the same thing.
Anyway if your getting prebuffering pauses try to run it local (if your
frontend is capable) if that works fine you need to check out your
network.