[mythtv-users] Transcode entire DVD (menus, etc) to MPEG4?

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Tue Mar 9 13:17:24 EST 2004

> > My question was mostly on how to save disc space by converting the mpeg2
> > video to mpeg4
>
> yes, I know that was the initial question but sorry, I don't have a
> better answer than the others...

Sorry, I don't have a complete answer to the original question either.

I imagine that software players such as xine would be much more lenient with
bitrates and resolutions than dedicated players.  I find that most of my
DVDs are mastered around 8000kbps, 720x480, 16:9.  But 3000kbps, 480x480,
4:3 from my PVR-250 looks perfectly acceptable on my analog TV.  So you
could probably transcode to 640x360 @ 3000kbps with acceptable quality.

The missing piece, of course, is how to transcode while keeping the menuing
functionality.  I don't know anything about those magic .bup and .ifo files.

> > My understanding is that this is already possible (although maybe not from
> > within Myth?), assuming disk space isn't an issue.
> > In fact, I don't think you even have to mount the image -- you just rip the
> > DVD to a folder
>
> Hmm... yes, you think... but did you try it? I was thinking it too,
> before giving it a try. What do you mean by "rip the DVD to a folder" ?
> Using the "cp" command ? I've already tried in various ways, and always got
> the same I/O error I get with "dd" ....

Have you tried mounting the DVD and doing a "cp -ar"?  If that doesn't work,
you can look for "vobcopy" -- it seems to work well for me.

I have never created a DVD image, but I think I recall seeing documentation
on it.  IIRC it's similar to creating an iso, but the DVD directory
structure is pretty rigid.  You might google for 'dvdrecord' to learn more.

--
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level, then beat you
with experience.