[mythtv-users] Newbie hardware purchase question

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 9 13:59:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, KMF wrote:

>   So any mini-system would need to have at least 2 PCI slots
>   to watch live TV while recording.

... unless you find an AGP (or USB) tuner card that works with MythTV.
There are video-in drivers for nVidia, ATI, and even 3dfx tuner cards, but
I don't know that any of them has stable capture support.

> Uhhh, what if instead
>   you want to record while watching video that was recorded
>   earlier?  Same thing? An additional tuner is needed or can
>   a PVR-350 encode one signal while decoding a file and
>   sending it to TVout? Or perhaps the video card could have
>   a appropriate decoder and TVout?

Watching a recording does not require a tuner.  The PVR-350 can encode one
stream and decode another.  Or, yes, you could use the TV-out on your main
video card.  Running two TV outs (the PVR-350 and a video card) requires
two instances of X running at once.

> > I have a Shuttle SK41G with an Athlon XP 2400+ and
>     This also looks like a pretty nice setup. I'll have to do
>   more investigation before heating up the credit card.

The biggest problem is that it has only one PCI slot.  I'm still looking
for a way to put a supported tuner in the AGP slot.

--Patrick