[mythtv-users] Re: [mythtv] Isaac's unemployment

Mr. Myth mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Mar 9 19:54:43 EST 2004

Isaac Richards wrote:

>I think it's really wonderful that people would want to donate to me or to the
>project.  I'm just rather uncomfortable with the idea of taking money from
>random people.  On the other hand, the question does get asked at least a
>couple times a month, so, I dunno..  Maybe I'll set up a paypal link later
>this week, maybe not.  I'll think about it.

While I can relate to your feelings, I wish you would reconsider.  Don't
think of it as random people giving you money.  Think of it as people
you have helped who are willing to help you.  I use mythtv every day.
Why would I not be willing to pay a little something for that?

I have regularly donated money to projects like Gallery, Mozilla, and
many others.  Not because I had to but rather because I appreciated the
work.  I didn't expect anything in return.

You could also consider just a generic donation process.  I would be
willing to give money to people who would impliment features I want.  I
would also be willing to donate money towards buying hardware that would
then get supported ( or better support ).

So don't look at it as a charity type of situation.  Some of us don't
have the time or the skills to contribute to the project.  However, we
can definitely help you and others get resources to help further the
project.

Michael