[mythtv-users] Second Opinions on Hardware

Michael Bunting phoenix4096 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 04:01:05 EST 2004

Well, I've decided to finally build myself a PVR and quickly found that
MythTV was heavily recommended.  Considering this'll also be my first real
experience with Linux, I'm sure I'm in for quite the learning experience.
In any case, after doing some research and some basic checking through the
*immense* mailing list archives, I've put together a preliminary hardware
list.  Since I'm sure that many out there understand the nuances of this
better than myself, I was hoping to get a second opinion before spending
lots of hard-earned cash.

My main criteria for this are:
   - Watch Live TV and record at the same time
   - Play and burn DVDs
   - Living room placement, so it must be very quiet and relatively cool
   - Small form factor would be preferable, but not entirely necessary

Here's what I'm looking at so far, which is likely more than I need:
   - Hauppage PVR-350
   - Intel P4 2.0GHz, 512MB memory
   - Western Digital SATA 200GB hard drive
   - Sony DRU-510A multi-format DVD burner
   - Mandrake 9.2 OS

I'd originally hoped to use a Shuttle SB65G2, though since I'll likely need
two tuners, its single PCI slot won't be enough.  I've also been looking at
a CoolerMaster 620, although it's considerably bigger than I'd prefer.  Any
further recommendations for small form factor cases with enough capacity
would be particularly appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

   -Michael