[mythtv-users] LIRC: Beware of brain-dead packagers! (was: Lirc problems w/PVR-250)

John theminor at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 15 00:46:25 EST 2004

Well, it looks like this issue isn't completely resolved - I am still having
problems getting LIRC to stay alive with my PVR-250. I've been working on
this problem for quite some time now, and I decided to start over
completely.  I reformatted and followed Jarod's guide.  I installed the
lirc-0.7.0-25_cvs20040311 kernel module and build.  It worked great until I
rebooted.  Before rebooting irw gave me feedback and everything when I
pressed buttons on my remote.  After rebooting, though, irw stops and the
lirc daemon stops as well.  I tried running lirc -n to watch the output and
it says:

Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: lircd(any)ready

Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Accepted new client on /dev/lircd

Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Could not open /dev/lirc

Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Default_init(): No such device

Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Caught signal

Terminated

That was really troubling, but here is the really strange part: Look at the
version number.  To make sure I wasn't losing my mind, I tried lirc -v and
it indeed returned 0.7.0pre1

How did the version revert to pre1?  Unfortunately, I didn't check the
version before rebooting, but I assume that it was pre3, since that is what
I installed - right?  I don't think it would have worked before the reboot
without the version being pre2 or the latest CVS version of pre3 that I
installed (or at least that is what I intended to install).

Any ideas?  I've been working on this problem for days now - and I can't
seem to resolve it.  This is the closest I have some, seeing as how it
actually worked there for a minute!  Before I cleanly installed the latest
CVS version I would always get the same error.  Maybe lirc just hates me.
Anyway, I'd *really* appreciate some help!  Thanks so much in advance,

theminor