[mythtv-users] S-ATA Card recommendation

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 01:43:07 EST 2004

Although I don't use SATA on my MythTV machine, I do
use it on my Linux desktop machine, so I can give you
some of the trials and tribulations I've gone through.

First, you need to decide which kernel you're going to
use, 2.4 or 2.6, and what distribution you'll use.
The 2.6 kernel provides drivers for more cards, but
the catch is that it may not play nicely with some
other hardware used for MythTV without some patching.

The Silicon Image 3112A is probably your best bet for
SATA - it's supported under Linux 2.4 and 2.6.  I have
one on my motherboard and it works okay, as long as I
don't use Fedora Core 1 or 2 with it.  The reason for
this is that I use IDE hard drives with SATA
converters, and libata doesn't like that in
conjunction with Intel ICH5 SATA.  Running a stock 2.4
kernel works fine, although I get a bunch of SATA
"errors" (kernel messages) on the Silicon Image,
because of the SATA converter, but no problems - since
you're using real SATA drives, I don't think that this
will happen.

If you're using 2.6, then you could also get a Promise
TX2 150 card.  I got one with a Maxtor hard drive I
bought, and it works well.  But, it won't work under
2.4 (although I think there is a patch available
somewhere).

Those are the only cards that I have experience with.

-- Joe