[mythtv-users] LIRC: Beware of brain-dead packagers! (was: Lirc problems w/PVR-250)

Aaron Levinson alevinsn at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 15 03:45:58 EST 2004

I found that this problem occurs if ivtv is not loaded.  lirc worked for
me when I followed Jarod's instructions, but then, after rebooting, it no
longer worked.  lircd quit as soon as I launched irw.  I spent hours
trying to figure this out.  The solution is to make sure that ivtv is also
loaded.  The ivtv kernel module must be loaded first--it is needed to find
the IR device.

Another way to confirm that the device is not found is by cat'ing=20
/dev/lirc.  If it says something like "no such device", then that's=20
exactly what the problem is.

Aaron

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2004, at 21:46, John wrote:
>=20
> > Well, it looks like this issue isn=92t completely resolved =96 I am sti=
ll=20
> > having problems getting LIRC to stay alive with my PVR-250=85 I=92ve be=
en=20
> > working on this problem for quite some time now, and I decided to=20
> > start over completely.=A0 I reformatted and followed Jarod=92s guide.=
=A0 I=20
> > installed the lirc-0.7.0-25_cvs20040311 kernel module and build.=A0 It=
=20
> > worked great until I rebooted.
>=20
> Hm... Its working for me... But I haven't been rebooting much at all...
>=20
> > Before rebooting irw gave me feedback and everything when I pressed=20
> > buttons on my remote.=A0 After rebooting, though, irw stops and the lir=
c=20
> > daemon stops as well.=A0 I tried running lirc =96n to watch the output =
and=20
> > it says:
> >
> > Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: lircd(any)ready
> > Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Accepted new client on /dev/lircd
> > Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Could not open /dev/lirc
> > Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Default_init(): No such device
> > Lircd 0.7.0pre1[2518]: Caught signal
> > Terminated
> >
> > That was really troubling
>=20
> Indeed... No clue why that's happening though... :-\
>=20
> > but here is the really strange part: Look at the version number.=A0 To=
=20
> > make sure I wasn=92t losing my mind, I tried lirc =96v and it indeed=20
> > returned 0.7.0pre1
> >
> > How did the version revert to pre1?
>=20
> It really is pre3. That was covered a while back on the list. Something=
=20
> to do with the way the lirc code is in CVS, or something... Verify what=
=20
> you've got with "rpm -qa |grep lirc" and you shouldn't see any pre1=20
> stuff, and you can verify by compiling current lirc cvs source=20
> yourself.
>=20
> > Unfortunately, I didn=92t check the version before rebooting, but I=20
> > assume that it was pre3, since that is what I installed =96 right?=A0 I=
=20
> > don=92t think it would have worked before the reboot without the versio=
n=20
> > being pre2 or the latest CVS version of pre3 that I installed (or at=20
> > least that is what I intended to install).
> >
> > Any ideas?=A0 I=92ve been working on this problem for days now =96 and =
I=20