[mythtv-users] Misc. PVR-350 TV-out issues

Scott Anderson scottanderson at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 09:29:28 EST 2004

Gerald Schepens wrote:

> 1)   My regular video card is an nVidia geforce4 ti4200.  I have a
> monitor attached to it, on which my console appears at boot.  However,
> once my ivtv-fb loads, the console goes back a few pages and sticks
> there.  Once I'm in X, it seems that my console out is sort of being
> directed to my PVR350!  Is it possible that the ivtv-fb driver is
> taking over /dev/fb0 when it shouldn't?  (Because, doesn't the kernel
> use fb0 as a video card frame buffer for displaying the console?)  And
> is there a fix for this?

Try adding "vga=normal video=vc:0-0" (without the quotes) to your kernel
boot line in lilo.conf or menu.lst.

> 2)   When I'm watching live TV and I press "m" on my remote to get the
> TV listing display, the PVR350's screen gets dimmer but the picture
> continues to update on the screen, as though the picture were
> preparing to be overlaid with the osd.  No real problem so far, but
> the listing appears on my monitor rather than on the TV.  Although
> this is workable, I'd rather it continued to function like it did when
> I was using my nvidia tv-out, with the tv-display displaying the osd.
> I understand the difficulty involved because suddenly we're asking the
> card to display something that isn't part of an mpg stream.
> Nevertheless, if somebody knows whether this can be done, great, but
> it's not enough of an issue to make me switch back to using the nvidia
> tv-out.

Sounds like X isn't using the framebuffer.

> 3)   If I rewind or fast forward through a recording too rapidly,
> mythfrontend sometimes hangs.  Some of the time, it appears to take
> the kernel along with it.  When it's just mythfrontend that gets hung
> up, I have to switch to a terminal and kill the mythfrontend process.
> When I restart mythfrontend, the pvr-350 TV out usually won't function
> any longer.  Sometimes I can't switch to a terminal to kill
> mythfrontend -- the remote, the keyboard and the mouse all seem to
> have no effect on the system and I have to cycle power on the PC.  In
> this case, I wonder if ivtv-fb hasn't misbehaved.  Has anyone else had
> this experience?

This behavior is one of the reasons I use an nVidia tv-out card instead
of the PVR at this point. The ivtv drivers are still maturing. Are you
by chance using a motherboard with a Via chipset?

Regards,
-scott