[mythtv-users] x-box or cheap PC for frontends?

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Mon Mar 15 21:53:30 EST 2004

it works great.  i bought a 2nd xbox just run a frontend on.  I use the def
encode settings with my PVR 250 @ 640x480 with no problems.  I use Dennis
Cartier's (mentioned on this list and xbox-linux user) modified Xebian 1.0.1
(minimal stripped for myth) and so far it does everything my other frontend
does.  It includes support for the xbox dvd playback dongle for remote
control.   If you dont like the xbox remote, there is a hack to get a
stabdard USB IR receiver working. Picture and sound are clear right out of
the box, plus no compiling.  Just install , reboot, and voila.  The only
tweaking is b4 the install you have to edit the config file for mount points,
interfaces and mysql.txt.

The only issue I am aware of is Component Video.  It does not work in this
release of Xebian (I could be wrong).  I use standard Composite Video and it
looks fine...but then I dont have an HDTV....  You may want to check the
xbox-linux user list over at sourceforge.