[mythtv-users] Black and White on TV

maarten van den Berg mythtv at ultratux.org
Tue Mar 16 08:01:45 EST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 03:52, Matt Hannan wrote:
> I a fairly sure that the adapter in the MX 400 box was the problem. I
> went out and bought a decent S-Video to Composite cable and ST:NG was in
> living futuristic color this evening. It seems that if in the process of
> S-video to composite conversion, you can lose the color signal...with
> crappy hardware (such as a free adapter).

Indeed. I have had issues with that also. I had a weird case once where when
using a SCART box to switch between VCR and DVD player outputs one of my TV
sets gave black and white screen when watching the VCR, but another set
worked in color in both instances. Go figure.

It all comes from the fact that Svideo has two signals, the luminance and
chrominance signals. If you miss the chrominance signal (which carries the
color information) you get B/W picture.  So maybe your adapter cable fscked
up and wired it the wrong way, or it can be some obscure incompatibility, as
I experienced.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER