[mythtv-users] x-box or cheap PC for frontends?

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Tue Mar 16 08:23:22 EST 2004

Well it depends on how you want to install linux on it.  You can use the
software mod with MechAssault to install linux.  This will allow you to
install to the save game partition.  If you have a mod chipped xbox, you
flash the bios and replace the hard drive with a larger model and just run
linux.  I used the software mod.  This requires that the MS Dashboard be of a
certain version. MS updated the dashboard via xbox live to fix the
vulnerability that allowed you to run unsigned code from the MEchAssault save
game.  I bought a refurbed box off of ebay, figuring that it would have the
original dash on it and I lucked out.  There is a step by step guide and an
xbox hardware db @ http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ that you will want to
check out....

As far as video inputs, if I was using the wrong terms...I meant the standard
"Yellow, Red, White" input connectors.  I dont have the svideo kit, so I dont
know if this works or not.  Check the http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ site
for more info...