[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:36:15 EST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Maarten van den Berg wrote:

> On Sunday 14 March 2004 08:49, Dirk Aust wrote:
> >
> > Your CPU will hardly manage ONE capture but never 2, I would guess buying a
> > PVR-250, it works well for me, but should try if you can playback at least
> > MPEG1 on your machine.
>
> ??  I believe you're talking about my current celeron ?  But I referred to an
> "AMD Athlon 2600+" which is what I have planned for this mythtv box.

An Athlon 2600+ should do a fine job of capturing one signal at full
resolution.  It probably won't be enough for two.  (My 2400+ is about 80%
doing 640x480 Live TV.)  Even if the CPU has enough power to encode two
MPEG4 streams, you might get bus conflicts or missed interrupts trying to
move that much data around from two sources at once.

If you're definitely planning to upgrade to the 2600+, I guess you may as
well try the dual-PCTV approach, but don't be surprised if you end up
buying at least one PVR-250.  :)

--Patrick