[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 16 10:43:37 EST 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, maarten wrote:

> What is 'better' to use, rtjpeg or mpeg4 ?

RTjpeg normally takes less CPU power and exhibits fewer (or at least
different) artifacts, but it takes much more disk space.

> I also notice mpeg2 in some menus, but there is no option to select
> mpeg2 in the other [encoding] menus ?

PVR-x50 cards record in MPEG2.  MythTV has no option to encode MPEG2 in
software, only RTjpeg and MPEG4.

> Does it matter whether I leave the resolution at 480x480 (default) or better
> at 1/2 PAL 384x288 (current setting) for my system ?

My impression is that you're better off using a vertical resolution of 288
or 576 for a PAL signal.  The 480x480 default is NTSC-oriented.  At least
for NTSC, the horizontal can be anything, whatever looks good and doesn't
swamp your CPU.

> Where do you select what resolution settings (default,live-tv,low-q,high-q)
> gets used when recording ? I did not see (or read) that anywhere.

It's in the advanced recording options screen.  You can get to it by
hitting 'I' repeatedly in the EPG or the "fix schedule" screen.

> This would be good to know in advance; if a PVR250 gives a better overall
> picture then I should maybe reconsider the athlon altogether and buy a PVR250
> instead (so I can keep using this hardware).

Plenty of discussion on that in the archives, even within the past week.
Some people (but not all) claim the PVR-250 looks as good as (or, for a
few people, better than) their TV's tuner.  Having a digital
cable/satellite feed apparently helps, because the MPEG2 codec is happier
with a clean signal.

--Patrick