[mythtv-users] Just built MythTV, beginner questions

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Tue Mar 16 17:53:40 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, maarten van den Berg wrote:

> > PVR-x50 cards record in MPEG2.  MythTV has no option to encode MPEG2 in
> > software, only RTjpeg and MPEG4.
>
> Oh. Why is that ?  Is mpeg2 encoding that much harder than mpeg4 ?
> (not that it changes anything, just being curious)

I believe that MPEG4 produces better video at (almost) all bitrates.  And
at least in their current Linux software implementations, MPEG4 is also
faster.

> I'm back at default settings now, having a fast cpu, but I'll try the 576
> setting.  But I was led to believe PAL was 720 lines, not 576 ?  Or is that
> including the non-visible lines ?  That would explain it.

Most variants of PAL have 576 lines visible out of 625.  NTSC is 480 of
525.

> Okay. I'm still trying to figure out all the keys and their meaning...

Have you read keys.txt yet?

> > Plenty of discussion on that in the archives, even within the past week.
>
> I don't know if it's the new case or the new CPU or whatever, but I now get a
> reasonably good picture, better than Xawtv does (in my opinion). I attribute
> it to the fact that the PCI slot is much further away from the CPU now. So
> this has become a moot point for now.  Sorry if I missed that thread though.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=113777;search_string=video%20quality;guest=2618879&t=search_engine#113777

--Patrick