[mythtv-users] SPDIF Soundcard Recommendations

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Mar 16 18:06:52 EST 2004

Jesper Rasmussen wrote:
> sblive works fine for me. I choose to go with optical to make sure NO
> static was trasfered from pc to the amp. To do optical you need either
> the expensive sb audigy ex pro or what ever it is called, or the
> inexpensive hootech add-on to sb-live.
>
> A few have sugested converters as well.

Or you can do what I did: buy a Chaintech AV515M (a.k.a. the AudioExcel
TheaterExcel) and use its optical output to drive everything.  Works
_very_ well.  $21 at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-120-101&depa=1

I see they alsa have a 7.1 version now but if you're just using the
optical output it doesn't matter.

                       -Dave