[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Chris Thompson ct-myth at cthompson.com
Wed Mar 17 13:24:32 EST 2004

Kevin D. Snodgrass (kds.mythtv at cox.net) wrote:
> I didn't say Fedora wasn't good or anything.  It's the short
> lifespan that I don't like.  Support for FC1 will dry up not
> long after FC2 is out.

That's a fair assesment, if you're used to the old model of Redhat where
each release was monolithic and going from RH 7.0 to 7.1 was either a
really dicey "Upgrade" install, or a complete scrub.

The continuous upgrade model lets you upgrade incrementally, on the fly.
BSD has done this for years. I first became aware of it with Gentoo. FC1
can do it with either Yum or apt-rpm. Just run "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade" regularly, and at some point your FC1 box will sort of
mystically become a FC2 box.

I didn't want to go to FC1 myself, but I've had nothing but luck with it.
It's a great OS.