[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Mar 17 13:17:36 EST 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 05:12, Maarten van den Berg wrote:

>>> Asking for trouble. One of the most problem-plagued distros for
>>> MythTV.
>
> Ahem.  I beg to differ.

And I beg to differ with your differing. ;-) Even with your
step-by-stepper, it sounds like a whole lot more trouble than, say,
KnoppMyth/Debian, Fedora or Mandrake. I didn't say it was impossible, I
know there are a few people running Myth on SuSE 9, but it is hardly
the easiest route to take. I'm happy to hear it isn't as bad as it was
in the 8.x days, and don't get me wrong, I really like SuSE, but there
is definitely more attention to detail and tedium to overcome than
other distros. Thus, you're asking for trouble. But if you're
determined, you can make MythTV work on LFS if you really want to. I
recall seeing someone putting together some MythTV rpms for SuSE 9 just
recently too...

> I had it working in a few hours, with NO troubles
> whatsoever on SuSE 9.  The fact that I played around with an older
> SuSE (8.0)
> and could not get it to work (qt too old && upgrading that broke
> things) may
> have something to do with that, but SuSE 9 was straightforward after
> that.
>
> Short description of what I did:
> * Install distro (doh)
> * Using Yast2, search for all *-devel-* packages and install the ones
> that
>    seem relevant to you (or all, if you're unsure) Let Yast2 solve all
> deps.
> * Same thing for any perl related module you deem necessary.
> * Run online update, just in case. DO select any available KDE updates
> * Download tar.bz2 packages of MythTV, lame and Xmltv
> * DO remember to run 'export QTDIR=...' etc.
> * Start the -seemingly endless- mythtv compile...
> * Meanwhile compile lame (no issues whatsoever)
> * Run perl Makefile.PL in Xmltv; it tells you what you still need to do
> * Using 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' install / upgrade what Xmltv told you.
> * Make, make test, make install. Install MythTV when compile is ready.
> Done.
>
> Yes, I'm totally aware that I just installed software outside of the
> RPM db.
> Truth is, I don't care. I've done it for years, never gives any
> problems...
> Especially not for a dedicated box, as a MythTV install probably is.

Hrm. I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of mixing of source and
rpm-installed software. If I need to install something, I try to either
find or build my own rpm for it, otherwise, you're wasting a very
valuable feature of the distro. Perhaps not as big a deal for a single
Myth box, but a nightmare when you try to scale things up a bit... And
upgrading packages from source... Source is great and all, but gimme an
rpm (or deb or ebuild) any day over source, even if I have to build it
myself (with a little effort building a few required rpms, I have KDE
3.2.1 running on RHL7.3 boxes at work, all from rpms =).

> Incidentally, I'd be glad to help, if you run into problems.

Once I finally upgrade my SuSE box from 8.2 to 9, I may have to pick
your brain. I know there is already talk about rolling in SuSE support
to ATrpms, if possible...

>> Too bad.  Suse 9 is at the top of the list for my server,
>> after this project is done.
>
> I'd say, go for it.

If you're feeling adventurous, go for it. I still say its asking for
trouble, at least much more so than several of the other alternatives.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/