[mythtv-users] CVS newbie questions? (probably stupid ones at that)

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 16:43:22 EST 2004

I have noticed some minor naggling issues with the release version of MythTV
and was wondering if I should try to upgrade things by using the CVS system.
I have never attempted to use CVS so its a bit of a mystery to me. I am
trying to judge if I have the skill level needed to be able to upgrade and
not trash my working system :) I am middling dangerous with linux, my
background is with firewalls and servers.

My system is Fedora Core 1 with everything installed via apt-get and using
Axel's ATrpm customized kernel. I ran into major headaches trying to
compile/install a custom lirc setup because the kernel modules all compiled
as custom (.atc rather than .at) and I was never able to figure out what
needed to be changed to make it work. I ended up redoing the system and
waiting until Axel released a fixed module. (I would really rather use a
serial port IR rx/tx and another remote but will suffer with the Hauppauge
remote for now)

Can I just log into the CVS system and expect everything to compile and work
or is it going to require me to fuss and tweak and have to yell for help? I
dont want to lose the 100G+ of stuff I have recorded.

If I can expect an easy upgrade path is there a idiots guide to upgrading
MythTV via CVS?

TIA,
Bill