[mythtv-users] Transcoding questions?

Jason R Neuhaus jneuhaus at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 18:31:53 EST 2004

Okay, I've got my P3 450 up and running with FC1, MythTV 0.14, lirc all
working.  Yeah!

Now, I'm still partially confused about transcoding.  I've read the
documentation on the web site and I'm still a bit confused.

1) From what I understand, since I don't have transcoding enabled by
default, my PVR-250 will output RTJpeg directly, and that is what gets
recorded to disk? or does it get converted to MPEG-2?

2) Okay, so the .nuv files stored on my disk contain the raw video/audio
data with the comercial skip, or any other cut points I have set, great.
Now, if I hit "T" to transcode the file manually, what exactly is it doing?
I'm thinking it just queues the currect video I'm watching/editing to be
transcoded, correct?  If so, what format does it transcode it to, and where
does the file go?  From what I can tell, it overwrites the old file?  From
what I saw, there are two transcoder options, RTJpeg and MPEG-4, is it
transcoding from RTJpeg to MPEG-4?  I'm a little confused as to what exactly
it is doing here.

3) I've tried using mkmovie (version 1.0.1-3 from ATRPMS), and I get the
following error if I try to convert it?  It appears that the call to
mythframes is failing.  If I run mythframes manually on ANY of the .nuv
files I get "ERROR! Currupted File! Bad Header!".  Any ideas?

 Channel ID: 1017
 Start Time: Mar 15, 2004 at 04:28AM
   End Time: Mar 15, 2004 at 05:00AM
      Title: Cowboy Bebop
  Sub-Title: My Funny Valentine
Obtaining framecount...ERROR: mythframes FAILURE!

Basically, I want to be able to offload the files from my MythTV system to
another machine to play, MPEG-4 format is fine as long as it is a high
quality copy, I'm more concerned about audio/video quality than file size.