[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Thu Mar 18 18:51:51 EST 2004

Scott LeBrun wrote:

>It got me very annoyed that someone can just come along, rip the code
>that you guys have spent years working on for no payment at all, and
>sell it. If you guys are happy with this going on - fine, I'll drop it.
>If not, there's a nasty letter about to be sent to the editor :-)

If they've made changes and are not making them available then that's a
GPL violation.  But otherwise they're free to do whatever they want with
it, including sell it, provided they also distribute the source as
well.  I would imagine that folks are paying more for the hardware than
they are anything else though.

How is this any different that selling a system with Linux preinstalled?