[mythtv-users] PVR-250 MCE Not Working Following Jarod's Guide

Nate Thompson natet at buckeye-express.com
Fri Mar 19 10:11:04 EST 2004

This is taken from the wiki at ivtv.soundforge.net. It looks like if you buy
a retail PVR-250 (at least in the states) you should be fine. It is when you
get one of the Freestyle cards (i.e. MCE versions) where you have to watch
out.

Hauppague Freestyle (aka PVR-250 MCE):
Rev1: Models 48xxx, has no IR port
Rev2: Models 28xxx, has no IR port and dual Conexant chips: CX23880/CX23416
(this board does not work), code name Roslyn
Rev2: Models 32xxx, has no IR port, should have Conexant CX23416

Mine has a large 28552 right on top of the heatsink, making mine one of the
incompatible ones. Like I said, if you buy a retail PVR-250 you shouldn't
have any problems. I kind of wish I would have known that beforehand, I
would have spent the extra $20 :). Although the Freestyle cards do have the
MPEG decoder built onto them as well and that could one day be supported in
Linux.

Nate