[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 10:37:57 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 18:03, Aaron Stewart wrote:
> I'd be concerned that D1 is not clearly delineating their affiliation
> with the Myth project.. the single mention in their documentation is
> unclear.
>
> I haven't read the GPL in a while.. Shouldn't they also be
> contributing back? According to their manual, the only way you can
> get their "modified" source code is to pull it off the box directly,
> indicating that it isn't freely available, no?

Hmm, I haven't read the GPL in a while either, but I don't believe it
stipulates the method by which it must be made available... simply that
it must be freely available, either by distributing it with the binary
(which presumably they've done if you can pull the code off the box),
or by providing contact information to allow you to request a free
copy.  Hell, they could could provide you a printout via snail mail if
that's what they wanted to do, as long as they didn't charge you for it
(I think they might be able to charge shipping in that case, but
still...).  I don't believe that the GPL stipulates that 'freely
available' has to mean 'freely downloadable'.

But, IANAL.

-JAC