[mythtv-users] Commercial releases of MythTV?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Fri Mar 19 12:45:45 EST 2004

At 04:48 PM 3/19/2004 +0000, steve at nexusuk.org wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
> > There is nothing in the GPL that says the source must be "freely
> > available", in the sense of "available" that everyone here seems to be
> > using. The GPL requires you to provide the source to anyone you sell or
> > give the binaries to. That is, you must provide souce to all of your
>
>Hmm.. I haven't read GPL in a while either, but I thought the modified
>source must also be available to the licence holders (i.e. modifications
>to Myth must be available to all the contributors so that they could be
>included in the full distribution if the maintainers saw fit).

This sort of "haven't read ... but I thought" response is exactly why I
suggested that anyone wishing to discuss what the GPL requires actually
READ the GPL before replying. Please find the section that you "thought"
required this and identify it.

Someones else in this thread just mentioned nVidia being "yelled at" for
its practices. There are many people in the Linux community (me included)
who do not like nVidia's policies about its drivers. But my not liking
these policies doesn't make them violations of the GPL.