[mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 14:23:55 EST 2004

>From: Brian Stults <bstults at crim.ufl.edu>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Some questions before I breakout the Mastercard
>Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:19:31 -0500
>
>Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm using a 250GB WD Special Ed (8MB cache) drive that I got for about
>>>$120 after rebates. Couldn't be happier with it.
>
>Is that drive reasonably quiet?  I'm trying to hold out for a rebate deal
>on a Seagate, but the WD is very tempting for $140 at CircuitCity.

StorageReview.com has it at 35db standby, 39db during access.  I
believe that those are very good numbers.  I also heard a rumor
that current WDxxJB drives use fluid dynamic bearings so they
should be as quiet as any out there (but I wouldn't necessarily
take that as gospel, I think the WDxxPB drives are the ones
with the fluid dynamic bearings).

HTH!

-- Harry O.