[mythtv-users] Any difference which MX440 card I get?

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 17:52:42 EST 2004

>From: "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw at wilsonet.com>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Any difference which MX440 card I get?
>Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:15:47 -0800
>
>On Mar 19, 2004, at 22:11, malcolm wrote:
>
>>I'm currently using a PVR-350 for TV out but would like to switch to a
>>MX440
>>type solution so I can play back DVDs too.  I was browsing  www.newegg.com
>>tonight and I see Chaintech and PNY brand cards with MX440.  Is there  any
>>difference or reason to choose one over the other?
>>
>>These are the two I'm looking at:
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145
>>-066&depa=1
>>and
>>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133
>>-086&depa=1
>>
>>The Chaintech's are only $44 and the PNY is $76.  Is this a case of  "you
>>get
>>what you paid for"?  Will one have a better TV out over the other?
>
>I have three Chaintechs and two PNYs, no problem with any of them. Some
>cards use slightly different TV-Out encoders, but I've never had a  problem
>with either of those brands. That being the case, I'd save some  $ and get
>the Chaintech.
>
>--
>Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
>
>Got a question? Read this first...
>     http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>MythTV, Fedora Core & ATrpms documentation:
>     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
><< PGP.sig >>

< I'll skip the Blazing Saddles quote this time>

Another reason to go with the Chaintech is that it is the retail
version and the PNY is the OEM version.  I have the 4x PNY
card, but I trust Jarod when he says the Chaintech is equally
as good.  I have had no problems with mine.

You may just want to call up Chaintech and verify that the
card has the nVidia tv-out chip.  To my knowledge, this is the
only chip supported for tv-out that allows you to set overscan
(using the 4363 nVidia driver).  If you need tv-out (svideo or
composite) you will need to make sure that setting overscan
is supported.  I cannot be absolutely sure, but I believe Jarod
does not use tv-out, so he may not have any problems in that
regard. (correct me if I am wrong Jarod)

HTH!!

-- Harry O.