[mythtv-users] Live audio broken

Slim Van de Lijn slimvdl at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 10:03:34 EST 2004

Problem: When watching live tv, the first few
milliseconds of sound get played over and over,
getting louder each time.
Also, when recording, the live audio comes out the
speakers even when mythfrontend is not running.
Audio is recorded ok when not in live-tv, although
other sounds my speakers play also get recorded along
with the audio.
Video is fine.

Mythtv was working perfectly until...

I upgraded my suse 9 kernal from 2.4.21-166 to -199
and also kde from 3.0 to 3.2 (that really shouldn't
affect anything since I don't use artsd, but who
knows).

Following the advice in the documentation, I ran
xawtv and then aplay /dev/dsp. I have the same audio
problem, except aplay graciously informs me there is
an underrun!!! error.

According to google, no one has had this problem.

So, anyone know what's going on? I'm assuming an
alsa bug but honestly I don't really understand
when/how sound gets piped to /dev/dsp.

Your help would be appreciated.