[mythtv-users] UK Sky Card

Alex Petts alex.petts at avt.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 12:44:26 EST 2004

I thought about this route, but as things stand at the moment, it isn't possible.  There are digital satellite decoder cards available (e.g. Hauppauge Nexus-s card) which you can attach a Common Interface module so that you can put a CAM in (Conditional Access Module - decodes the encrypted signals.  It's what your Sky card will go into), but unfortunately there are currently no CAMs available for the encryption method that Sky uses (VideoCrypt, I think).  You should probably be able to get all the free to air channels with it, but that's not really what you are looking for.

There is a different problem with UK digital cable (NTL or Telewest).  The difference being that there are CAMs available, but the cable company couples the viewing card with the STB (so I've heard - I'm not a subscriber, so I cannot verify this), stopping you using your viewing card in a different STB (at your mate's for example, or in a PC with a digital cable decoder card...)

Your best bet, I'm afraid, is to feed the input to your 250, and get an IR blaster to control your Sky box.

Unless anyone knows any different?

Cheers
Alex