[mythtv-users] Re: ANyone using this Case for MythtTV

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Mon Mar 22 15:15:26 EST 2004

Op maandag 22 maart 2004 20:53, schreef Mike Ladwig:
> >in the other room has to be off), or the machine is doing some encoding
> >or something (which causes the fans to spin up, but still MUCH quieter
>
> I've been planing on the Pundit case; what capture/CPU combination are you
> using?  I've been trying to decide between a Celeron 2.0Ghz + PVR250 and a
> P4 2.4 + BTTV card.

If you live in America then yes. I can use software encoding at 640x480 with
my framegrabber card. Though it looks kinda fuzzy with PAL, so I don't use
it.

But anyways, it won't do the full 720x576 PAL resolution with a 2.4GHz Celeron
(I use that setup). I'd personaly go with the PVR250, though it might be
tough to fit it in the case.

The TV-out quality is quite nice btw. I've got nothing else to compare to but
after some gamma tweaking both grabber and VGA card wise it's almost as
viewing directly.

> I'm trying to get a feel for which setup is likely to be
> cheaper/quieter/more reliable.

You know my opinion ;-)

btw, if you don't need the processing power (no transcoding) I would go with a
fanless EPIA with Nehemiah processor. Be sure to find a silent case to it btw
(at least not Starex), you need at least one fan for the HD.

	Henk Poley <><