[mythtv-users] MythTV freezes on Fedora

Listman listman at depfyffer.com
Mon Mar 22 22:10:04 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 21:51, Hector Vayanos wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all the responses.
> I seem to have established that the problem lies with the built-in ethernet
> adapter (driver: nvnet).  When I first set up the configuration I noticed
> that the LAN response was extremely bad. I searched on the web and found an
> option that seemed to significantly improve things:
> options nvnet optimization=1
>
> On the other hand (as it turns out) it resulted in boot-up being extemely
> slow. Also, it seemed to have some weird side-effects on MythTV. Changing
> this configuration was not much of an option either as the networking would
> be pretty much unusable. So I just ended up plopping in a Linksys ethernet
> adapter and I was up and running without any problems.
>
> - Hector
>

> At 08:18 PM 3/21/2004 -0800, Mark Davies wrote:
> >Hello Hector,
> >
> >I was having the same problem (as a MythTV newb who has just spent the
> >last 4 days playing around with it and a PVR350).  Using the same
> >instructions, I kept having the freezing problem.  Ignoring the part about
> >"commenting out" certain apt repositories on my last install has it up and
> >working quite well.  No freezes, and live TV is watchable, recording is
> >working fine.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Mark
> >

> >Hector Vayanos wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>I am encountering a very strange problem with MythTV.
> >>
> >>My system characteristics are:
> >>- Tuner: Hauppauge PVR-250
> >>- MoBo: ASUS A7N266-VM
> >>- CPU: Athlong XP1800+
> >>- Ethernet: built in Nvidia (nvnet)
> >>- Audio: built in Nvidia (nvaudio - AC97 - intel8x0)
> >>
> >>I was a very happy Mythtv 0.12 user. My installation was based on Jarod's
> >>guide for RH9.0 and Axel's rpm packages. I recently tried to upgrade to
> >>version 0.14 but apt got completely hosed (the dependency file
> >>disappeared), so I figured it was a good opportunity to transition to
> >>Fedora. I again made use of Jarod's excellent guide.
> >>
> >>In general I am quite disappointed by Fedora. It takes extremely long
> >>both to boot up and shut down compared to RH9.0 with the same services
> >>set up. I did quite a bit of searching on the web but could not find any
> >>explanation for this.
> >>
> >>MythTV 0.14 on the other hand seems to be a worthwhile upgrade. I really
> >>like the status information.
> >>
> >>Everything seems to be working fine, except that after watching live TV
> >>for about 3 to 4 minutes the image freezes and eventually the back-end
> >>service sort of hangs. At first I thought there was a problem with the
> >>ivtv driver or with the PVR firmware. By complete coincidence I found
> >>that if there is network activity (http or telnet) at the time when
> >>mythtv freezes the server recovers.
> >>
> >>For scheduled recordings I only get about 9-10 minutes of the show. After
> >>that the backend service hangs (it keeps reporting that the tuner is
> [...]
I'm sorry this won't be much help but I finally gave up on my nvnet
card. The only distro that actually found it was debian. I tried all the
drivers from nvidia in fedora and RH9 but never got it to work right. It would work
fine for a few seconds then just kill my system for a few seconds this
went on and on anytime I was transferring files over the network, Any
substantial network traffic just killed me.
Take my advice and add another card if you can.