[mythtv-users] RE: Recorded volume differences M179 and PVR-250

Vince Busam vince at busam.com
Mon Mar 22 23:23:28 EST 2004

>I have a PVR-250 and an M179 in the same box. I'm trying to
>equalize the volumes of the recordings from the two cards.

>The M179 seems to ignore the test_ioctl -y volume= command.

>I was going to increase the volume % to 100% in the frontend
>setup. Is there any reason not to do this? I suppose I could set
>it to 98% or something and live with the small difference in volume.

>(Unless of course someone knows how I can get the setting to work
>on the M179).

I have the same problem which I noted in my post on Mar. 10, 2004
and titled "Sound difference M179 & PVR-250"
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=113637

I "solved" my problem on the front end.  On the Main window choose
Setup.  On the Setup window choose TV settings.
Go to Recording Profiles and choose the MPEG-2 Encoders.  Then for
all items in the list (default, live tv, etc) I went to its Audio
Quality page.  Set the Volume(%) to 100%.  This way Myth will
set the volume on the PVR-250 to 65,500.  My M179 output is stuck
on 65,535.  But these values are close enough that I don't notice
any volume difference.

You can now use alsamixer (if you use alsa) and/or mythfrontend's
volume keys ( "[" and "]" ) to adjust the overall volume.

Vince