[mythtv-users] OT: Where did i go wrong?!?! Capture Problem

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 24 10:07:43 EST 2004

At 10:27 PM 3/23/2004 -0800, Billy Macdonald wrote:
>I have to ask.  You used various spellings for "you" and "your" in the
>message.
>  hue, yew, yore, yore, hew, ewe.
>
>Why?  I thought it was funny since when I read the original there were a bunch
>of 1's and 2's in there that made it hard for me to read but I was wonder if
>you were thinking the same thing.  Or do you just know how to spell every
>other
>word in you message except those :)

I thought my motive was fairly obvious. But since you ask ...

I find it disconcerting when people post to mailing lists using
non-standard grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation. (I don't mean the
honest errors made by non-native speakers, or the occasional accidental
typo ...just the IRC-like gibberish created by people who want to sound
"cool".)

My approach in this reply seemed like a harmless way to illustrate the
problem, one that was a bit humorous but should not interfere with readers
understanding my substantive response.

BTW, usually I just ignore any messages that I find too hard to read,
whether it be IRCish jabberwocky, html, or just bad formatting. But I
noticed that this guy had posted four times without getting any replies, so
I decided to stretch a point.