[mythtv-users] HDTV with Comcast

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Wed Mar 24 17:17:44 EST 2004

"Jim Wilhelm" <skillz9981 at hotmail.com> writes:

> Very new here to the MythTV realm.  I am in the process of building
> my myth box and I have a Comcast digital cable subscription with
> HDTV.  How do I get the HD signal to pass thru the Myth box

I think the first step might be to talk to your Congressman.  Under
current law, you have no right to fair use of cable transmissions, as
decrypting the HDCP signal most likely coming out of your Comcast box
would be an illegal act under the DMCA, if you could even find a
DVI-in card for your computer and figure out some way of decrypting
it.

Please feel free to join us: the club of Americans SOL with respect to
non-OTA high definition television.  I bought a pcHDTV card for OTA
HDTV broadcasts, but it works only with unencumbered ATSC, a format
most digital cable providers are unwilling or unable (under contract)
to offer.

Cheers,
Kyle