[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Thu Mar 25 02:29:03 EST 2004

Jon Whitear wrote:
[snip]
> (a) Is RH9 feasible as a backend box? I'm think I may need to go to Fedora
> Core 1 (and use Jarrod's guide!)

I've run Mythtv on both RH9 and FC1 and have had no problems, in fact I
think the aptrpms are brilliant...(Jarrods guide is a god send).

> (b) Will FC1 support my DVB-T card?

Yes it will, I've two..and a PVR-250..all working fine.. Had some
hassles with my KV7 motherboard but a bios update solved my problem.

> (c) Will this combination be powerful enough (hardware wise?) It won't be
> used as a frontend (in fact it won't normally be running X.)

I've not experianced the EPIA M10000 first hand but from the research
I've done it should do. I'm going to build a EPIA frontend box later
this year for the upstairs bedroom. Its certainly looking like my choice
  system.

> (d) Will it be stable!?

Ditto

> (e) Is anybody else running diskless frontends? I'm no linux guru, and
> just want to get an idea of what I'm letting myself in for. Minimyth
> springs to mind.

No idea..

Simon

--
I remember when legal used to mean lawful, now it means some
kind of loophole.