[mythtv-users] PAL Xbox Front End

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Thu Mar 25 16:05:02 EST 2004

Thanks for the help Dennis,

Sorted out the ssh password by putting the encrypted password in
/etc/shadow.

Sorted out the mythfrontend not starting on Xbox issue - it was SQL
permissions so that's all fine now.

Also sorted out the colour problem - the screen was running in colour all
the time (using composite video already), just that the X desktop brought up
on the Xbox doesn't use any colour so I assumed it was running in mono...
D'Oh!

And a forums post in the link you posted for setting the correct timezone
helped too to get the clock set correctly.

Now I've just got 2 remaining problems...

- I can set the overscan on the Xbox output using something like: xbv
-PALBGHI -auto 640 480 0 0 which looks fine (and fills the screen), but once
I do this watching video in Myth shows noticable jerkiness and tearing.
Video output before I do this is fine (no tearing and no jerkiness) - but
doesn't fill the screen. Any ideas ?

- When I go into 'watch recordings' the list of programmes I've recorded is
corrupt and shows apparently random bits of text such as the hostname and
lots of "0","-5" instead of program names. This looks like a database schema
difference caused by running a different version of Myth on the Xbox
compared to the backend, but as far as I know both are running 0.14 (backend
from Axel's Atrpms on Fedora Core 1, front-end using the emule 0.14-1
release). The recorded programs list still shows fine (and works) on the
backend so I'm a bit puzzled here.

Also, is there any advantage in my moving to the beta 0.4 release of the
Myth on Xbox code ? How stable is this now ?

Regards, Jon.