[mythtv-users] Wrote a script for skipping unwanted seasons of shows

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Thu Mar 25 17:14:57 EST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, David Blevins wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:41:38PM -0500, Daniel Walton wrote:
> > Very cool!  Is there a way to add only a few episodes of a season?  I'm in the
> > process of archiving the simpsons but they aren't aired in order so I have a
> > handfull of episodes from almost every season.
>
> If you've already recorded them with mythtv, then the episodes will already be
> in oldrecorded and you should be good.  Based on your comments later, I'm
> guessing you recorded them with ReplayTV.

yep

> I didn't add per-episode skipping in, though it would be nice.  Not sure how
> that could be done nicely in a command-line tool.  A PHP version of this
> script for MythWeb would really be the best, something the scheduled recording
> page, but I've never worked in PHP and don't have much time to learn it.
>
> There is still an easy way to get what you want; install webmin and muck with
> the episode table using their web gui.  That's probably what I would do.

I may tweak your script give the option of querying epguides.com or sucking in a
tab delimated file.

> > I'm new to myth (still working on my install) so forgive the newbie question but
> > how strict is the mythtv scheduler in terms of skipping recordings by comparing
> > against the oldrecorded.  Does it just compare the show title and episode or
> > does it also compare the description?  That and is there a way to view the
> > oldrecorded list...maybe via MythWeb?
>
> It compares title, subtitle, and description. Though, as I understand, the cvs
> version of mythtv allows that to be configured.  A word of causion though,
> I've noticed a lot of two-part episodes have the same title and subtitle, but
> different descriptions, so comparing just title and subtitle would result in
> not recording the second part (ouch).

yeh To Be Continued episodes are a pain.  Sometimes my local provider doesn't
even change the description for the second episode.  I've been scheduling these
by hand on my replay.

What are you feeding in as the description since this isn't available on
epguides.com?

> > The reason I ask is because I wrote a tool to do this same basic thing (remember
> > what I've recorded and never record it again) for my ReplayTV and I found that
> > it was a lot more accurate if I relaxed a couple of things:
> >
> > - ignore case sensitivity
> > - ignore any prepending "The" or "A"
> > - ignore punctuation.  Especially for the description where sometimes you get a
> > period at the end and sometimes you don't
> >

> I'm doing all the matching in my select statment as such:
>   SELECT p.chanid, p.starttime, p.endtime, p.title, p.subtitle, p.description, p.category
>   FROM program p, episode e
>   WHERE  e.title = ?
>      AND e.skip = 1
>      AND p.title = e.title
>      AND p.subtitle = e.subtitle
>
> If you know of some sql magic to make it more flexible, I'd be happy to add it.

Afraid I've never had to use sql so I'm not much help to you there.

Daniel