[mythtv-users] 2 Backends, but only using one!

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Mar 26 21:00:14 EST 2004

John Kim wrote:
> I have one master backend and one slave backend, each with one tuner card
> installed.
>
> And if I look at the database, there are two capture cards listed, one for
> each machine.
>
> But from either frontend, it behaves as if there's only one backend(the
> master one.)
>
> The fix-conflict screen shows conflicts even if there's only two programs
> set to record at once.  If I go to one computer and start watching live
> TV, and try the same thing on the other, it says that the tuner card is
> occupied.  If I change the recording profile on one computer, it changes
> on the other as well.
>
> It's also configured so that they each use their own HD for storage.  The
> master has 160GB, which the slave has 70GB.  But even if I go to the
> slave, if I go into delete recording screen, it shows that I have 160GB
> free!

Given these symptons the most likely explaination is that either
there is not a "mythbackend" process running on the slave machine
or if it is running it is not connecting to the master properly.

In a shell on the slave machine, run:

$ mythbackend
Running as a slave backend.
2004-03-26 17:51:35 mythbackend version: 0.15.20040324-1 www.mythtv.org
2004-03-26 17:51:35 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
2004-03-26 17:51:36 Connecting to master server: 192.168.0.35:6543
2004-03-26 17:51:36 Connected successfully

Verify that you see both "Running as a slave backend" and "Connecting
to master server". The master should also announce that the slave
has connected and "found changes in the todo list" to rework the
schedule for the current number of cards.

> When I start mythfrontend -v on the slave, it says that it's connecting to
> the backend on the master!  Where do I configure so that it connects to
> the local backend?

All frontends connect to the master at first but if playback is
a file on a slave then it will open sockets for control and data
from the slave.

--  bjm