[mythtv-users] CPU Performance required three dumb capture cards

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 26 22:50:18 EST 2004

>>>>> Adam Felson writes:

a> My multimedia computer's hardware is an asus a7v333, an athlon XP 2400,
a> and 512MB DDR 3200 memory.

a> When I had one video capture card (BT848), it ran like a champ able to
a> do 640x480 mpeg4 encoding and tv output in real time with about 55% cpu
a> load.
a> With two cards (second is a bt878), it maxes out the CPU and can't keep
a> up;  tv out will run with a 1/2 second pause every 4 seconds.

        What's the usage like with 480x480?  I think your system
should be able to handle that.  I have two Bt878 cards on an
Athlon XP 2500+ (1.83GHz), nForce2 system capturing 480x480 MPEG4,
2000 bitrate (1500 eff.), 4MV and HQ disabled, adjust and quickdnr
filters enabled.  CPU usage is 60-75% when recording two programs and
playing one more at the same time.  I don't transcode.

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.