[mythtv-users] Power Con$umption

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun Mar 28 04:18:09 EST 2004

Op zondag 28 maart 2004 01:27, schreef Preston Crow:
> > Try using athcool -
> > http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacobi/linux/softwares.html
> > It enables powersaving mode on your Athlon.... It's awesome for cooling
> > down your PC too (I saw like a 20 degree C difference)...
>
> Wow!  That makes a *huge* difference.
>
> I enabled that, and it's gone down 11C and is still dropping.
>
> With gentoo:
>
> % emerge athcool
> % rc-update add athcool default
> % /etc/init.d/athcool start
>
> This should be highlighted in the documentation somewhere.

Then also mention that certain motherboards/chipsets experience severe audio
and harddisk problems. As stated on the athcool website you shouldn't use the
program when you encounter any of these problems (possible dataloss when bus
is switched off?).

So people should hdparm their harddisks and look if it performs the same after
athcool is started, and don't forget to test their audio. But that last one
will be pretty obvious the first time you hear it. (The ECS K7S5A I use, non
mythtv, sounds just horrible).

	Henk Poley <><