[mythtv-users] nVidia GF4 mx440 tv-out optimization

Simon at the Threshold dweller at the-threshold.org
Sun Mar 28 07:19:49 EST 2004

Lo Dex,

I've a Geforce MX-440..I'm inb the UK so I'm using a PAL-I TV and the
broadcast quality is 720x356 (most of the time) as its DVB-T.

Firstly you description of the problem is not clear..So I'll attempt to
describe what the two main quality issues I had where.

1.
When I first connected my card through to the tv it was using a SVIDEO
connector (7 pin din) and the quality of the image/colour/stability was
dire.  After a few googles I discovered that just because I'm plugging
in a scart connector doesn't mind that the TV supports the image. I
checked my sony TV's manual and it turns out that it does support
S-VIDEO in but only on certain scart sockets. After plugging it in the
image quality was perfect (well as much as can be expected for a 800x600
image).

I understand that scart also supports composite cable (single phono type
connector) this is more normal for TV's to support.

Basicly if your onscreen image look crisp for static images and then
blured when stuff moves see the next one.

2.
Not sure what you mean about X/mythtv quality, the obvious way to
improve your MX440 output is to use mthtv with the XVMC (Xvideo Motion
Compensation) support. Stuff like tearing still occurs but its a 150%
better than plain old xvideo on the MX440

Lots of other reasons for tearing and flicker but I'm not going into
them until I understand more about your setup.

Simon