[mythtv-users] Backend suggestions please - h/ware & distro

Jon Whitear mythtv at whitear.org
Sun Mar 28 17:44:38 EST 2004

>At the time I had the machine locking up on me on a regular basis
>(solved by a motherboard bios update) but from memory I plugged them in
>compiled up the drivers had a few mins faffing with the dll on the
>windoze cd so they could download the firmware and it worked. Probably
>about 15 mins after opening the boxes.
>
>I have noticed that the kernel-source packages don't seem to work
>"out-of-the-box" but doing a "make oldconfig; make dep;" appears to fix
>any compile problems I have recompiling the DVB drivers with new boxes.

Simon,

Are you using a 2.4.22 kernel under Fedora? I'm having problems getting my
DVB card to work. I have Axel's kernel as per Jarod's guide, and I have
downloaded the latest video4linux from bytesex.org, and the dvb drivers
from linuxtv.org.

The trouble is, when I go to 'make' video4linux (and therefore the updated
bttv driver required by my bt878 card) I get an error to the extent that
my kernel doesn't support loading modules, and that I should re-compile
with loadable module support enabled. That sounds all wrong to me.

Anyway, If I try a 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source directory, it
errors out. I'm araid I don't have the machine in front of me, so I can't
say exactly what the error is.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers,

Jon