[mythtv-users] Help compiling lame...

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Mon Mar 29 19:48:36 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 02:15, John Pummill wrote:
> Hi all,

> I can compile as root but not my myth user -> mythtv

This is weird.  That should not ever happen.

> Here are the steps I have taken from the how-to:
>
> 1)  Create user mythtv ( home directory is:
> /home/mythtv)

<snip>
All the QTDIR stuff will be needed for building MythTV. However, compiling
lame will work out of the box without any of the actions you performed...

> 5)  (5.2) Building Lame.
>           as user mythtv
>           cd /home/mythtv/src/lame-3.95.1
>           ./configure

Compiling as root is discouraged since it may present a security problem.
However, apart from that there is no reason whatsoever to not compile
something as root, or as any other user for that matter.

> This is where I run into trouble.  I get the following
> error:

> checking for C compiler default output... configure:
> error: C compiler cannot create executables

It sound like something essential is missing from your compiler. Can you
compile anything else ? The kernel, or something like that ?

Google suggests that you may not have write permissions in the current dir.
So, maybe you untarred lame as root and then changed to user myth; in that
case user myth cannot write there. Easily verified by ls -la. If so, you need
to run 'chown -R myth. /home/mythtv/src/lame-3.95.1'
Or better, start over and untar as user myth next time!

> See `config.log' for more details.

Did you heed that advice ? My guess is, No.

> Again, as root I have no problem but as user mythtv,
> this does not compile.

If the above didn't work, if you can compile as root, I'd say go for it.  But
it DOES suggest something is wrong with your system.  Make install may
require root, but plain 'make' or  './configure' will not; they should always
work.  Which linux distribution is that ?

Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.