[mythtv-users] Re: Question about kernels and Jarod's guide...

Chua KianTeck chua_kianteck at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 20:39:44 EST 2004

Hey Jarod,

Thanks for the help anyway.

I actually have 2 setups on two seperate harddisks.  The first is my
test setup and on an IDE drive.  This setup has all the stuff needed for
development including gcc, kernel source, etc.  The 2nd setup, on a SATA
drive, will actually be my final setup which will go into my
entertainment center.

So, it's the first setup, on the IDE, that failed on the "apt-get
install kernel.....rhfc1.at" command.  However, for the installation on
my SATA drive, it works fine.  The kernel is now
2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.

My guess could be that since the 1st setup is a sandbox, I might have
messed up something which caused the apt-get to fail.  Maybe, I'll just
yank out the FC1 installation in the IDE drive and reinstall it when I
get the time.

Oh, by the way, I've been running the 2nd setup using the Promise's
Fastrrak driver downloaded from Promise's website.  After the apt-get, I
am able to get rid of Promise's drive and use the libata.o +
sata_promise.o drivers.  The drivers seems to be working fine.  Cool!
Haven't got the chance to test the performance.

I'm now at the next step of my installation: set up ALSA + send all my
audio output through the SPDIF to my Denon AVR 1602 that powers my 5.1
Alantic Technology speakers.  I'm still struggling to get the audio out
the SPIDF; althought I can get it out the analog ports on my MSI K7N2
Delta ILSR.  I'll leave this for another thread if I really cannot get
it out the SPDIF.

Cheers
KianTeck